- Bryson, R. W., D. A. Wood, M. R. Graham, M. E. Soleglad, J. E. McCormack. 2018. Genome-wide SNP data and morphology support the distinction of two new species of Kovarikia Soleglad, Fet & Graham, 2014 endemic to California (Scorpiones, Vaejovidae). ZooKeys 739: 79-106. [new species: Kovarikia oxy, Kovarikia savaryi]
- Bryson, R. W., E. Zarza, J. A. Grummer, G. Parra-Olea, O. Flores-Villela, J. Klicka, J. E. McCormack. 2018. Phylogenomic insights into the diversification of salamanders in the Isthmura bellii complex across the Mexican highlands. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 125: 78-84.
Collaborators leading the charge…
- Mackessy, S. P., J. Leroy, E. Mociño-Deloya, K. Setser, R. W. Bryson, A. J. Saviola. 2018. Venom ontogeny in the Mexican Lance-Headed Rattlesnake (Crotalus polystictus). Toxins 10: 271.
- Schield, D. R., D. C. Card, R. H. Adams, A. B. Corbin, T. Jezkova, N. R. Hales, J. M. Meik, B. W. Perry, C. L. Spencer, L. L. Smith, G. Campillo-García, N. M. Bouzid, J. L. Strickland, C. L. Parkinson, M. Borja, G. Castañeda-Gaytán, R. W. Bryson, O. A. Flores-Villela, S. P. Mackessy, T. A. Castoe. 2018. Cryptic genetic diversity, population structure, and gene flow in the Mojave rattlesnake (Crotalus scutulatus). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 127: 669-681.
- García-Vázquez, U. O., A. Nieto-Montes de Oca, R. W. Bryson, W. Schmidt-Ballardo, C. J. Pavón-Vázquez. 2018. Molecular systematics and historical biogeography of the genus Gerrhonotus (Squamata: Anguidae). Journal of Biogeography 45: 1640-1652.
- Smith, B. T., R. W. Bryson, W. M. Mauck III, J. Chaves, M. B. Robbins, A. Aleixo, J. Klicka. 2018. Species delimitation and biogeography of the gnatcatchers and gnatwrens (Aves: Polioptilidae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 126: 45-57.
- Hansen, R. W., R. W. Bryson. 2018. Crotalus viridis. Diet. Herpetological Review 49: 128-129.
This summer has been especially productive. Collaborators and I submitted several manuscripts on diverse topics, including species delimitation in scorpions using genome-wide SNP data, comparative analysis of venoms and biological activities within two groups of rattlesnakes, species delimitation and biogeography of a widespread group of birds, and systematics and biogeography of an alligator lizard.
“Summer is a promissory note signed in June, its long days spent and gone before you know it, and due to be repaid next January.” -Hal Borland
2017 is off to a good start thanks to my awesome collaborators!
Bryson, R. W., C. W. Linkem, C. V. Pavón-Vázquez, A. Nieto-Montes de Oca, J. Klicka, J. E. McCormack. 2017. A phylogenomic perspective on the biogeography of skinks in the Plestiodon brevirostris group inferred from target enrichment of ultraconserved elements. Journal of Biogeography. doi:10.1111/jbi.12989 [link]
Blair, C., R. W. Bryson. 2017. Cryptic diversity and discordance in single-locus species delimitation methods within horned lizards (Phrynosomatidae: Phrynosoma). Molecular Ecology Resources. doi: 10.1111/1755-0998.12658 [link]
Banda-Leal, J., M. Nevárez-de los Reyes, R. W. Bryson. 2017. A new species of pygmy alligator lizard (Squamata: Anguidae) from Nuevo León, Mexico. Journal of Herpetology. http://dx.doi.org/10.1670/15-168 [link]
Bryson, R. W., T. D. Hibbitts. 2017. Book review: Herpetofauna Mexicana I: Snakes of Mexico. Herpetological Review 48: 227-228. [pdf]
García-Vázquez, U. O., R. W. Bryson. 2017. Geographic distribution. Gerrhonotus infernalis. Mesoamerican Herpetology 4: 196-197. [pdf]
This week a new scorpion from the mountains near my hometown was named after me — a tremendous honor. Many thanks to Rich Ayrey and Michael Soleglad for this special distinction. [link to paper]